Sunday, March 2, 2008

Diamond: My Favorite Hymn

I find it so interesting the things you remember over the years. I remember the first time Bishop Bryan and I (although he wasn’t “bishop” and that thought would have been too weird) went to church. It was Mother’s day. I wasn’t planning to be a mother (but they gave me a rose anyway!) And we were early (no one was in the building, and we didn’t make that mistake again!) We met in the Seattle Institute building across from the University of Washington in the cultural hall, on folding chairs. It was a “married’s” branch which meant there were about 20 children aged 2-3, one five-year-old and about 10-15 babies. Folding chairs, a wooden floor, little children and babies meant it was a church meeting I had never experienced in my life: it was ALIVE!

We had to go to church before we were baptized. And we really did think we were going to a restaurant the first time the Elders told us where we were going to be baptized!

The day of our baptism arrived and I remember it being very sunny and beautiful. No member of our family would attend and the room was pretty full of strangers, and of course the Elders. I remember singing this wonderful hymn, “I Know That My Redeemer Lives.” And although I know that we sang at least one other hymn, it is this hymn that resonates in my memory. It captured every new idea I had learned about my Savior and even today, so many years later, as I sing this song I remember that day of beginning and the promises in this hymn have proven true every day. It thrills my heart to sing these praises.

No comments: